.

Monday, March 29, 2010

TELL ME A STORY








"Speak your truth clearly and quietly.
And listen to others-- they too, have their story."
- Max Ehrman





“Live your life fom your heart. Share from your heart. 
And your story will touch and heal people's souls.”
- Melody Beattie



I like this post from A Cup of Jo about having her husband tell her stories, because I like to do the same. Everybody has good stories, and the fascinating thing is, you can probably know someone forever and ever, and never really know every single story they have to tell. They probably wouldn't like to hear this commonality, but I have always said to each boyfriend I have had, "Tell me a story". Charles Dickens said that "a boy's story is the greatest story ever told", and I would have to say that boys do tell some good ones. The responses to my little demand are always so interesting. Some have no idea what I mean and struggle to come up with something. Some you rarely say this to because they never shut up in the first place, and that is fine, too. Some would charmingly re-tell things I already knew, like the story of how we met or our first date. Some automatically think to tell fairy tales that they invent on the spot (or else thinly veil a true story preceded by "Once upon a time..."). Most, though, tell autobiographical nonfiction, my favorite of which are childhood stories. One boyfriend got so excited about a camping memory that he called his mother on speakerphone right then and there to help him remember the rest. It's fascinating to watch others re-visit memories that had laid dormant and half-forgotten for so long, and see them re-discover something about themselves. 


There's a place in your heart where nobody's been, take me there.
Tell me about your momma, your daddy,  your home town, show me around.
I wanna know everything about you and I wanna go down every road you've been.
Where your hopes and dreams and wishes live,  where you keep the rest of your life hid.
Your first real kiss, your first true love, you were scared, show me where.
You learned about life, spent your summer nights, without a care, take me there.
I wanna roll down Main Street and back roads like you did when you were a kid.
What makes you who you are? Tell me what your story is.

- From "Take Me There" by Rascal Flatts




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...