.

Saturday, November 27, 2010

SKIRT SIREN

In the late nineties, long skirts still reigned supreme for formalwear. Trains trailed down every red carpet in taffeta and silk, with matching wraps dripping off starlets' arms. For the Winter Ball my freshman year of high school (a very serious fashion affair indeed), we would have never dreamed of going cocktail, as is done now for even the most black tie of events. Instead, we were all obsessed with Gwyneth Paltrow's youthfully irreverent and devastatingly chic Golden Globes look- the formal skirt topped with a casual knit. I had just turned thirteen years old, and the Winter Ball was my first grown-up formal event. I picked out a deep wine color taffeta skirt with a cashmere camisole in the same color, and dreamed of emulating Gwyneth's elegant cool. 

Gwyneth Paltrow at the 1999 Golden Globe Awards

As someone who prefers to be overly celebratory and always overdressed, I am thrilled that the long skirt is making a comeback. I get stir-crazy in "done" looks that I can't style myself or make changes to throughout the night (variety in your photos, darling), so I particularly love that the nineties trend of mixing a formal skirt with a casual top is also resurfacing.  

Models in US Vogue for Fashion Night Out 2010

Paired with my penchant for the cashmere in my men's closets, I have pretty much gone to town with the maxi-and-sweater idea. I plan to carry this into the winter season, wearing as many paradoxically casual cool gown looks as possible. Yes, this will fight with my other obsession, thigh high stockings, but as the girl in the office whom no one recognizes if wearing a pant, there can really never be too many skirt options.

The 2010 red carpet way: Olivia Wilde at the BAFTA Britannia Awards

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...