.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

GIVEN IN LOVE: RECAP OF THE 11 BEST HOLIDAY GIFTS OF 2010

Christmas Day has come and gone, and now we cozy up by the fire amid the crumpled paper wrappings and untied glittery ribbons to enjoy our new gifts. Here are the few highlights from this year of the gifts given in love between those close to me. 


Photo: 



TO:
Everyone I love
FROM:
Me



I like simple, beautiful things that are unique and timeless. These gift tags, to me, are just that. 
They are plain vintage manila with sweet messages, including "Open Me" and "Remember This Day".


TO: 
Grandma, Nonie, Aunt, Cousin (and... myself!) :)
FROM: 
Me


I am mostly morally opposed to both giving the same gift to more than one person and flats, but this year I couldn't resist the temptation to pass out GAP City Flats like candy. They are practical and darling, and made every editor's gift guide list this year. They are available in metallics (as above), buttery leather like real ballet slippers, soft felt, and rich jewel tone velvets. GAP City Flats for everyone!!


TO:
Me
FROM: 
Roomie



My lovely roomie gave me this wonderful book, which is basically a chronicle of all of my favorite treats and their history. I adore this book and will treasure it always. Here is an excerpt from the introduction:

"While those years [working in high fashion] taught me to recognize beauty of all kinds, to respect it, and to allow myself the time to ponder the exquisite, by contrast, this book is an ode to life's many luxuries that don't require much spending. It's about how knowing the royal lineage of a common Bartlett pear or the origins of the top hat can make you feel rich, and about how learning the history of the Japanese kimono or of confetti can turn the world vast and strange... These entries sprang directly from a file I kept on my desk, bulging with scribbled scraps, Xeroxed articles, quotes, and curious images I'd come across--anything that lit a spark, or excited 'intense delight'. In my mind I called the collection 'Why I Like It Here,' 'here' meaning the planet."


TO:
Mom
FROM:
Daddy 

iPAD 


Normally I do not support jumping on the new technology bandwagon-- aka it's mostly over my head anyway. But this iPad is truly fantastic, bringing to life all beautiful things my mom loves with fantastic animation and clarity! 


TO: 
Showroom Manager
FROM: 
New York Manager



This is my favorite kind of gift: simple but elegant, understated but luxurious. Fitting coming from our chic New York girl, who gave this beautiful and indulgent By Terry Rose Baume to our LA Showroom Manager. We employed our interns in coordinating the bicoastal Secret Santa operation, and we opened the presents together over our video conference system. I love my New York girls and it is such a treat to see them and do something fun "together".


TO: 
Little boy cousins 
FROM: 
Papa



This nice drill and fold-up bit set was given from my grandpa to my 13 and 11-year-old boy cousins. 
They were thrilled, and I thought it was a darling and perfect gift for young men.


TO: 
My boss
FROM: 
Me



I adore my boss. The first thing I thought to get for her was something as fun and bubbly as she is, but I also wanted her to have something elegant and beautiful that she would never buy for herself. This Volupsa candle in Crisp Champagne fit perfectly. I always admire these at the little boutiques on Third or the pretty departments of Neimans, and I knew she would appreciate it after coming home from a busy day at our office. 


TO:
Baby Girl Cousins 
FROM: 
Daddy and Mom


The most darling tulle skirts for the most darling little girls. 


TO:
Me
FROM: 
Mom



I cannot tell you how obsessed I am with the nude lip and how difficult it has been for me to find the perfect lipstick. The only truly nude color I have found was M.A.C Lipstick in Myth, but that took on a spackle-y look on my face, giving the impression that I had just made out with sheet rock. I had all but given up on my years-long quest for the perfect lipstick when my mom found this one and gave it to me in my stocking!



TO:
My two LA co-workers, aka my partners in crime and dear friends
FROM:
Me



Everything we need to get us through the upcoming awards season-- just kidding (...)! But I saw these beautiful gifts and wanted to get them for my beautiful girls. We always find ourselves being given champagne as gifts (oddly enough), which we then pour into our office tea service in case our other offices decide to video conferences us without warning. Therefore I felt proper flasks were becoming appropriate. The pill box is because we always keep Tylenol on hand as a most important necessity. 


TO:
Everyone I love
FROM:
Me



There is nothing more special than a thoughtful, hand-written word for those you love and appreciate. The people in your life are the true gifts of the season that last the whole year and beyond, so it is nice to be able to express that-- especially because, as Plato said, we should be kind, for everyone we know is fighting a battle. A sincere expression of your thoughts is the best way to wish a Merry Christmas. 


Photo:

Here's wishing you had a lovely Christmas with many gifts given in love.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...